On 11/24/16 14:31, Luescher Claude wrote:
> I have couple of OpenBSD 5.2 vms where I could use automatic file system
> repair at start. In most other OS'es I have running virtualized
> (windows, linux) it's not a problem, they automatically repair
> filesystem inconsistencies and start up but not OpenBSD.
>
> With this the boot either completely stucks or it mounts up the fs to
> read-only mode and I always have to connect to the VM console reboot it
> to single user mode with boot -s then fsck -y all partitions then boot
> it back.
>
> Did anyone come up with a solution for this?
> Is this feature added to the new versions?

You're not giving us a lot to work with here (exactly which
virtualization technology, which version and so on would be extremely
useful for meaningful feedback), but anyway -

As far as I can remember, OpenBSD does indeed run a file system check at
boot if there are indications that the system did not shut down cleanly.
I don't think the system has changed very much in that respect at all
for a very long time.

But then OpenBSD 5.2 has been out of support for years already. I'd try
with a supported release (5.9 or 6.0) with similar application load and
see if your problem persists.

Next, look into what caused those file systems to go bad in the first
place. The problem doesn't have to be an OpenBSD one - back in the day
IIRC virtualbox had bugs that showed up as memory corruption in guests,
that for some reason bit OpenBSD guests more frequently than others. But
again, we don't have sufficient information to help you diagnose.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/