: :
> > Since I hade run 'domainname XXXX' and ypbind by hand it had set
> > /var/yp/binding and therefore 'rcctl enable ypbind' concludes that there is
> > no need for an entry in /etc/rc.conf.local because the quirked default value
> > is already ''.
> >
> > I am pretty certain that the reason that ypbind did not get started from
> > /etc/rc when /etc/defaultdomain contained a domain name and /var/yp/binding
> > was set is that /etc/rc sources /etc/rc.d/rc.subr and runs _rc_parse_conf
> > before /var is mounted so /etc/rc thinks ypbind_flags=NO.  After /var has
> > been mounted ypbind_flags= and therefore 'rcctl ls failed' lists ypbind,
> > which surely enoug is not started when it should have been.
> >
> > Nasty glitch...
> >
> > I do not know how it should be fixed, but if I had enabled ypbind through
> > rcctl from the start I would have gotten an entry in /etc/rc.conf.local and
> > everything would have just worked.
> >
> > However, the quirked value for ypbind gets wrong for /etc/rc which I think
> > is kind of a bug...
>
> Ahahaha, that's an awesome "issue".
> I'll look at fixing this asap.

Excellent!

You could also get this "issue" if you have run ypbind, disables it with
rcctl without removing the YP domainname and /var/yp/binding/, and then
enables it again.

: :
> > Ok.  That figures!  I had read /etc/rc.conf and concluded that the default
> > value for nfsd_flags was NO.
>
> I mean the default flags when nfsd is enabled.

Yes.  The fact that nfsd_flags= means enabled with default flags which
may be found elswhere takes me some time to get used to. (I think I think
nfsd_flags=DEFAULT would have surprised me less, also, to use
nfsd_flags=' ' for enabled with no flags is a bit ugly albeit rarely needed)

> > rc.subr(8) explains that rc.subr global defaults are overridden by
> > /etc/rc.d/ script defaults that are overrriden by /etc/rc.conf.local values.
> > But /etc/rc.conf defaults are not mentioned here.  I feel a bit confused...
> >
> > But 'rcctl get <service>' will tell me the truth (except for ypbind_flags
> > in /etc/rc ;-).  Thank you for enlightening me!
>
> Yes that was one of the reasons rcctl was born; so you can know the status and
> flags of your daemons without having to look into several files.

Maybe make a pointer in /etc/rc.conf to rcctl(8) since historically
the defaults were found there.

Thank you for your prompt response!