Adam Thompson wrote:

> I stand by my statement that just buying a cheap SSL cert will, for
> anything other than the simple case of an online, directly-connected,
> webserver, be cheaper than the labour required to obtain a LetsEncrypt
> certificate.

A cheap certificate like the one you can buy from GoDaddy will trigger
browser exception warning just like the self-signed certificates. If the
your goal is to encrypt web traffic self-signed certificate will do it.
If your goal is to provide a peace of mind to your customers by
presenting them a proper SSL certificate which will authenticate against
credible third party server I am afraid that you will have to shell
little bit more money to get the one from Verisign.

LetsEncrypt is a wonderful option for people like me who need to have
both (encryption and authentication) but without resources (working for
an academic Lab) to pay for a real certificate.

Best,
Predrag

P.S. In all my years on this mailing list I have seen nothing but the
most insightful, helpful, and polite answers by Mr. Stuart Henderson.
If he had labeled my post as a "Fake news :)" I would reflect on it
before posting again in the same thread.