On 2006-01-19 17:43, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>>vendor "Acer Labs", unknown product 0x5287 (class mass storage subclass
>>SATA, rev 0x02) at pci0 dev 31 function 1 not configured
>
> Good, it's not hidden behind an unrecognisable pci-pci bridge.

Ok, at least that's something! :)

> Try looking for a BIOS setting called something like legacy/native,
> and toggle it. By doing that, I got M5289 to function (DMA unsupported,
> but even with onboard disks it still completes 'make build' faster than
> anything else I have, and I think I'll put my ami(4) in that box
> anyway).

Ok, I won't have the real RAID-H/W as an option, so the question is what
"anything else" you have... :) How slow is the system without DMA? I
would guess it would be horrible, but perhaps it is not?

The system I am to setup is a backup server that is to do pretty much
nothing but wait all the time, and each night get the backup from our
server. So perhaps the most incredible disk speed is not needed, but
disk I/O has to be reliable.

Now I have tried some different actions, and FreeBSD 6.0 finds the disks
 right away (but not the network, but perhaps it is easier to tinker
with that compared to the disk stuff?).

Unfortunately, I am not that much of a home-hacker, so I would like to
fit the most secure and stable minimal UN*X system on this one. What
would you do in my situation?

Regards,

/Joakim
--