On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 10:29:51AM -0800, M... wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm playing with OpenBSD 3.8 and would like some
> comments/advice on partitioning.
> I have a 500MHz test machine, 256MB RAM, 4GB H/D,
> 100/1Gb intel ethernet card.
>
> Most of the examples show separate partitions for
>
> /
> /tmp
> /var
> /usr
> /home
>
> I want to run a mailsever (20 users),

20 users of text mail?
20 users of PDF scanned legal documents?

> (spamassasin/clamav) mailing list server (20 lists),
> ftp and web servers, (maybe 100MB or so of data)
> adding them in and seeing how it handles the load.
>
> I was thinking of doing
>
> / = 500MB

too big.  150MB will do it VERY nicely.  200MB if you think I'm
being too tight.  70M will do fine, too. :)

> /tmp - 100MB

Paranoia makes me make that bigger, usually 200M, though I can't think
of a reason why on your app.

> /usr - 1GB

keep in mind, that's too small for building, but great for binaries.

> /var - 1GB

sounds big...

> /home - 1.4GB

sounds VERY big...
What are you putting in /home?

> or should I just have a root and home partitions ?

Not if you are planning on doing something other than testing.

> I'm not really sure about the sizing for /tmp or /var
> so I want to be economical with the limited space.
>
> Opinions please.

Suggestion 1: Quit assuming your first install will be your last.
Install, look around, see how it works, adjust, try again, adjust,
try again. repeat until (done);

Figure out your OWN needs, don't ask others.  We don't know, and
more importantly, it's your job/reputation on the line.

Suggestion 2: Quit trying to allocate all your disk space.  Leave some
empty space at the end that you can move into if you need to.  Make var
and home 500M ea., leave a gig or so free, put /var at the end of
allocated space, if you find out you made /var too small (most likely),
growfs it.  If you find /home is too small, move into the 1G space.

Nick.