Paul B. Henson wrote:

> I noticed back when I upgraded to 5.9 the ipmi driver stopped working,
> it just said:
>
> ipmi0: get header fails
> ipmi0: no SDRs IPMI disabled
>
> I found the following post at the time which appeared to point out the
> issue and suggest a fix:
>
> http://openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/fix-for-quot-ipmi0-get-header-fails-quot-td299427.html
>
> After applying this and installing the resulting kernel, ipmi worked
> fine. I skipped 6.0, but just updated my boxes to 6.1, and see the same
> ipmi failures. It looks like this fix hasn't been applied, the code in
> head is still missing this line. I applied it again to my 6.1 kernel
> and it still seems to make ipmi work fine as far as I can tell.

> Is there anyone maintaining ipmi or someone with commit privs that
> might be kind enough to apply this so the next release version would
> have working ipmi?
>
> Thanks much...

My understanding is that ipmi driver used by ipmitool is disabled
intensionally due to the security problems. IPMI pose a grave security
risk. As you probably know OpenBSD comes with its own sensoring
framework. You probably want to check out

http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.1/sensorsd

http://man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-6.1/sensorsd.conf.5

Sensorsd comes with appropriate MIBs files the native SNMP daemon and it
really easy to poll with SNMP walk. I have really nice charts coming out
of LibreNMS. For instant report check out this

# sysctl hw.sensors
hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0=27.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm2.temp0=47.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm2.temp1=47.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm2.temp2=31.00 degC
hw.sensors.lm2.volt0=1.16 VDC (VCore)
hw.sensors.lm2.volt1=6.86 VDC (+12V)
hw.sensors.lm2.volt2=3.31 VDC (+3.3V)
hw.sensors.lm2.volt3=3.30 VDC (+3.3V)
hw.sensors.lm2.volt4=-10.54 VDC (-12V)
hw.sensors.lm2.volt5=1.26 VDC
hw.sensors.lm2.volt6=1.86 VDC
hw.sensors.lm2.volt7=3.30 VDC (3.3VSB)
hw.sensors.lm2.volt8=1.59 VDC (VBAT)

and compare to Linux

root@ari$ ipmitool sdr
CPU1 Temp        | 50 degrees C      | ok
CPU2 Temp        | 51 degrees C      | ok
CPU3 Temp        | 69 degrees C      | ok
CPU4 Temp        | 62 degrees C      | ok
System Temp      | 29 degrees C      | ok
Peripheral Temp  | 44 degrees C      | ok
PCH Temp         | 49 degrees C      | ok
FAN1             | no reading        | ns
FAN2             | no reading        | ns
FAN3             | 4800 RPM          | ok
FAN4             | 4800 RPM          | ok
FAN5             | 4650 RPM          | ok
FAN6             | no reading        | ns
FAN7             | no reading        | ns
FAN8             | no reading        | ns
FAN9             | no reading        | ns
FAN10            | no reading        | ns
VTT              | 0.99 Volts        | ok
CPU1 Vcore       | 1.06 Volts        | ok
CPU2 Vcore       | 1.06 Volts        | ok
CPU3 Vcore       | 1.06 Volts        | ok
CPU4 Vcore       | 1.06 Volts        | ok
VDIMM ABCD       | 1.38 Volts        | ok
VDIMM EFGH       | 1.38 Volts        | ok
VDIMM JKLM       | 1.38 Volts        | ok
VDIMM NPRT       | 1.38 Volts        | ok
3.3V             | 3.36 Volts        | ok
+3.3VSB          | 3.26 Volts        | ok
12V              | 11.87 Volts       | ok
VBAT             | 3.22 Volts        | ok
Chassis Intru    | 0x01              | ok
PS1 Status       | 0x01              | ok
PS2 Status       | 0x01              | ok

My favorite remote telemetry daemon Collectd has an IPMI plug-in but it
is not functional on OpenBSD as you can see by reading configuration
file (has double ## in front of the plug-in which means not available).
Hopefully this will give you something to look at if the reporting is
what you are looking for. If you actually want to control machines
remotely via IPMI that is probably different story.

Cheers,
Predrag