On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 01:51:48PM -0400, Donald Allen wrote:
> On 1 July 2017 at 18:55, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
> <i...@juanfra.info> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 03:43:48PM -0400, Donald Allen wrote:

> >> If you are implying that if I had only waited a week or a month for
> >> this to complete on OpenBSD yesterday, I think you are incorrect. This
> >> was hung, not slow.
> >
> > No, it's just slow. I've had the same problem for years. Our ext2
> > implementation is slow even on SATA.
>
> This is not helpful. You insist that you know what is going on when I
> was in front of the computer and you were not. File copying to an ext2
> filesystem on a usb drive is 10x slower than to an ffs filesystem on
> an internal sata drive mounted async (ext2 is async; apples to
> apples). I know because I've measured it, including the time to sync.
> The file in question was 1.5 GB. That copy should have taken 150
> seconds or so at the rates I measured. The system sat there for two
> hours, as I said in my message. And when I came back, it was making no
> progress, as I also said in my message. I'm done discussing this. I've
> reported what I found and offered to help debug it. My workaround is
> simple: I will do these backup disk updates and anything else
> involving ext2/usb disks with Linux.

You're taking my comments too personally. I was talking only from my
experience.

You can't mount ext2 with "async" on OpenBSD. FFS only syncs the
metadata by default, that's why the "sync" option exists for FFS. And
you can't compare a SATA disks with an USB bulk-only. So, you're not
comparing apples to apples.

I've copied a file to an USB disk formatted as ext2 and the speed is
about 12MB/s. It's similar to your numbers with the 1.5GB file.

My point was that if you're writing a lot of metadata updates (something
usual with rsync), due to the limitations of our ext2 implementation and
the USB stack, the process sometimes will get stuck.

Cheers.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info