Yes, I'm very interested in this but there is no "open" hardware.

As Mischa mentioned, all of the platforms need vendor drivers
and AFAIK all of them are gigantic and non-free *.

OpenFlow is an alternative to control switches in a standard way
without direct access to the switch chipsets, but it is a long way to
get switchd(8) to this point. And it has limitations, of course.

*) let me know if I'm wrong.

Reyk