That seems wrong, why would you have http://unix:/...?

> Do you have any suggestions on how to implement a unix socket connection with
> NGINX chroot enabled?

You may need to use the path inside the chroot (/apps/... rather than
/var/www/apps/...), especially if you reload rather than restart nginx
to reconfigure. But it might be simpler to just add symlinks so that
the path /var/www/whatever works whether you're inside or outside the
chroot:

cd /var/www
mkdir var
ln -s .. var/www