Hi Stuart,

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 14:08, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
>
> On 2017-08-09, Maurizio De Magnis <r...@olisti.co> wrote:
>>    server {
>>      server_name myapp.com;
>>      access_log /var/www/apps/my_app/logs/access.log;
>>      error_log /var/www/apps/my_app/logs/error.log;
>>      root /var/www/apps/my_app/current;
>>      location / {
>>        proxy_pass http://unix:/var/www/apps/my_app/application.socket;
>
> That seems wrong, why would you have http://unix:/…?

That’s per the documentation of proxy_pass:

https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_pass

I get a syntax error `doas nginx -t` when I use `proxy_pass unix:/mypath`.
I need to either set the “https://"; or “https://"; prefix.

>> Do you have any suggestions on how to implement a unix socket connection
>> with NGINX chroot enabled?
>
> You may need to use the path inside the chroot (/apps/... rather than
> /var/www/apps/…),

And that nails it in the head! :-)
The path is actually related to the inner chroot environment (`/var/www` in my
case). #duh
I reset the flags, updated the socket path and now it works.

Thanks a lot <3

> especially if you reload rather than restart nginx to reconfigure.

I don’t understand this piece, could you expand it a bit further?

> But it might be simpler to just add symlinks so that
> the path /var/www/whatever works whether you're inside or outside the
> chroot:
>
> cd /var/www
> mkdir var
> ln -s .. var/www

Thanks for this advice as well but I think I’ll opt for the simpler chroot-only
use case :-)