About the system partition:

In the process of preparing to install OpenBSD, I set the 'IBM
Predesktop Area' BIOS option to 'Disabled', expecting a hidden
partition to appear. Imagine my surprise when only the NTFS partition
(it came w/ m$ poop installed), which filled the entire disk, was
visible. Did IBM really put it there?

Either way, out of expediency, I blasted the whole thing to make room
for OpenBSD. It seems to work fine, no error, and pressing the
'Access IBM' button during boot now brings up a small, textual boot
menu, including an option to enter the BIOS setup. Yay!

         --schaafuit.