On 13 Oct 2017, at 0:11, Mike Larkin wrote:

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:36:42PM +0200, Michał Koc wrote:

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 01:23:36PM +0200, Michał Koc wrote:
On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 11:59:52PM +0200, Oliver Marugg wrote:
On 7 Oct 2017, at 22:01, Mike Larkin wrote:

On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 02:19:58PM +0200, Oliver Marugg wrote:
Just to add a 4th situation of hangs: Login via proxmox (pve)/kvm
serial
console (via noVNC), login successful: Vm guest in pve hangs, cpu
usage at
above 102%. Only way is to hard stop the Vm guest. -oliver

sounds like a kvm bug. Ask your provider to investigate the host side
when this
happens.
Thanks Mike, will do so. The proxmox guys have also the idea that it could be a bug in kvm hypervisor (which is the hypervisor part for proxmox) and will affect OpenBSD since 4.9, they wrote me in their public forum. As far as I understood they do not know what OpenBSD needs in kvm or what/where
should be fixed in kvm run OpenBSD without that freezes.

-oliver
From what I read, the cpu spins to 100%, which means somewhere on the host it's
likely spinning also. Start with systrace/ptrace/ktrace/whatever on the host
qemu-kvm and go from there...

-ml

Hi,

it looks like the cpu process of kvm (CPU 0/KVM) is issuing 1500+ of
ioctl(15, KVM_RUN, 0)  per second while running OpenBSD 6.2 guest.

What CPU profile is being presented to the OpenBSD guest?

I've seen things like this happen when a vCPU is claimed to have monitor/mwait support, but the hypervisor implements those as NOPs, which just results in
spinning like this.

In short - try changing the type of CPU presented to the guest and see if that changes behaviour. At least then you'll have more data points to work with.

-ml

Okey,
How would You disable monitor/mwait support in KVM to be presented to guest
?

Well, monitor/mwait was just what I recall contributing to something *like*
this.

If you can determine the guest %rip during each ioctl(vm_run) and give me a
kernel or disassembly I may be able to see if it's something obvious.

That, or describe a way I can repro this locally. I have a machine I could
put linux on for an evening to test.

-ml

proxmox is debian 9 based they uses an ubuntu kernel 4.10.17-3-pve (modified?). It seems that makes it a step harder to compare in this case.

I tested my OpenBSD Guestswith different processor types like Mike suggested, stablest fit shows as kvm64 (eq. pentium4 I think) which is also standard in proxmox kvm. Other processors types like core2duo, pentium or opteron freeze/hangs somewhen within 30 minutes after starting, I tested all through.

changing CPU to pentium or setting <feature policy='disable'
name='monitor'/> does not actually change anything in scope of host cpu
utilization....

BR
M.K.

In case of linux guest the process issues about 15 of those ioctls per
second.

In any case I cannot make openbsd to starve KVM host cpu. OpenBSD uses at
most(when idle) 7% of cpu.

My versions:
- OpenBSD 6.2 amd64
- KVM 2.8.1