On 2017-11-01 10:08, Alan Corey wrote:

Thank you, I was thinking every partition has a UUID and I needed to
find and use those.  But even in Linux it's apparently only devices
that have UUIDs.  They're almost like DOS/Windows drive serial
numbers, but those are generated when you format a partition and only
apply to the partition.  Yes, I was looking at man pages but what I
was looking for doesn't exist.

I'm sorry.  Originally, you wrote:

I want to replace my fstab with one that accesses my current
partitions using DUIDs.  Disklabel shows me a DUID for the drive, how
do I set up individual partitions?  Or is there already a DUID (or
UUID) for each partition that I need to find and use?

A DUID is per drive, and is reported to you by disklabel(8).

    # disklabel wd0 | grep duid

You can change the DUID value as well, if you desire to.
See the "i" command in the disklabel editor section of the
man page.

You'd also written ...

I don't really like DUIDs ...

They were introduced specifically to eliminate needing to
edit fstab(5)entries in the event of device number changes.