On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:10 AM, Christer Solskogen
<christer.solsko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Forwarding is kernel-only and should be faster than userland sending. So if
>> you're trying to determine performance when used for forwarding, you need
>> have other machine/s sending and receiving packets for the test
>

> The thing is the the uplink to my ISP is supposed to be 500Mbit/sec. But I
> only get around 400MB/s, which seems a bit low for a gigabit interface.
> Problem is not with the ISP, as I've tested with an old-ish laptop. (I even
> get a bit more than 500Mbit/s!)
> Perhaps current is using some extra debug-stuff that slows things down?

No, you'll get the same result with release or stable, or at least, I do,
using forwarding on an apu2c4.

You can check if you're dropping packets with sysctl net.inet.ip.ifq.drops
(and net.inet6.ip6.ifq.drops if you're using ipv6). If that returns
anything else
than 0, you can tweak net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen and net.inet6.ip6.ifq.maxlen.
4096 seems to be a good value for me, I get around 460Mbps up and down
with that set.

--
:wq!