Up to now, I have only vaguely considered that, and there are
some other things pending.  However, if many users will be
missing that option, my priorities might change ;-)  Would
"edge areas" be an alternative for you?  synaptics(4) has an
option for defining edge zones.  A touch that starts there does
not trigger pointer movement, tapping, and scrolling as long as
it hasn't left the area.  The input driver in wsmouse(4) has a
similar mechanism, what's missing up to now is a decent way to
configure it, but it can be done, and it might be a way to mitigate
the effects of accidental touches.  Of course, whether it could
help in your case depends on your habits.