Hi Christoph,

under the hood, things are a bit different than you might
think.  It's not the ws driver that is new or has changed,
it's the fact it is used in X for all pointing devices now.
The touchpad-specific input processing is done in the kernel,
by a new component of wsmouse(4).

I'm afraid you are out of luck with a Powerbook.  The kernel
driver for that hardware, ams(4), offers mouse support only,
that is, the hardware emulates a mouse and that's all.  No
extended functionality may be available, apart from things
that its firmware might offer in that mode (I have never
worked with it).

BTW, xorg configuration files in
   /usr/X11R6/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
aren't necessarily named "xorg.conf".  The files in that
directory only need the ".conf" extension, and an old version
of 70_synaptics.conf (or an ancient 50_synaptics.conf) would
change the driver assignment.

Cheers,
Ulf