The issue of being in base has been raised. Pretty important. Who would
really
want to spend such enormous amounts of time to add in yet another
language?

C is in base. Assembly is in base.
But Perl is also in base. I don't think anyone would want to change all
of the
fantastic pkg_* tools into either C or assembly.
None of these three are "safe" languages.

A while ago I was told that moving to a newer version of Perl was being
held up
by needing to deal with mod_perl. That's obviously been dealt with.

I like Perl's way of flowing and doing things.

I tried learning some assembly on my own, really to just get a better
idea of
what was going on with different C commands and variables.
But the developers kept adding little changes, for good reasons, that
made
compiling with NASM changing. Plus i386 vs. amd vs. hardware I don't
have
a bit too much to deal with.

Personally, I would like to learn to properly program in C for OpenBSD.
Yet with so many changes, it's a bit of a constantly moving target.
(Hurrah!)

But as my attempts previously didn't work out too well, I see a problem
for me
and others in my position.
I don't want to hold up any active developers from doing their work.
I really don't think I can get good enough without some hand holding to
get to
a good enough understanding of OpenBSD's usage of C, since there are so
many
points that one needs to be able to tie together to "get it".
I do not have enough money to go back to school to learn C in a class. C
itself
seems pretty simple to use, but hard to put into useful contributions.

Perl has a nice collection of modules that do really useful stuff on
CPAN.
I would guess that OpenBSD has basically the same thing going on in C in
the
src tree. Every time I've tried to follow the chain along I just find
myself
lost and overwhelmed by too much to follow down the rabbit hole.

Is there anyone(s) who, preferably both not busy with active development
who
would genuinely be both willing and capable of helping follow down the
rabbit
hole? I would not be capable of doing that myself if the position were
reversed.
I just don't have the patience and personality to keep up with some
idiot like
me.

I realize that if a hundred people jump up and ask for the same thing,
maybe two
will really mean it and perhaps one will actually follow through.

If someone(s) would like to help, please let me know on or off list.
But let's not waste each others time. I don't want to exchange 20 emails
and then
get ignored. Or vice versa.

As far as the topic being discussed, I think that nothing needs to be
changed.
Lowest level to high level we have is just fine.
Assembly -> C -> Perl
I don't see any need to add to base. It's a good, strong foundation.

Chris Bennett