On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Denny White wrote:

> Had originally posted a message "Tuning NFS File Transfer Speed"
> and had eventually posted a "Solved" reply to it on the list.
> That turned out to be erroneous. It did turn out to be a hardware
> issue. Had some leaking capacitors on the old VIA Abit mobo and
> replaced it with a Aopen MX3ST mobo picked up on the cheap. All
> seems to be working okay so far, but my question concerns what
> dmesg is saying. I googled all over, searched in the archives,
> and came up with lots of dmesg's that mentioned it, but didn't
> explain specifically what that one line meant. It says:
>
> "Intel 82801BA SMBus" rev 0x05 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured
>
> Before asking anything on the list, I tried different things in the BIOS
> like disabling USB, the onboard NIC, juggled some IRQ's, just generally
> doing some experimenting, but the message is still there. I'd just like
> to know what exactly it means & maybe be pointed to a site that explains
> it so I can learn more about it. Will put in output of dmesg & ifconfig
> below. Thanks for all replies.

There's nothing wrong. It just mean SMBus is not supported. SMBus is a
system management bus.  It is generally used to read and control fans,
temperature sensors and such.  It is not supported on 3.8, but 3.9
will support a wide variety of SMBus controllers.

Install 3.9-beta to take a look. It's available on the various
mirrors.  The ichiic(4) and iic(4) man pages contain some more info.
You can read them via the web site:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ichiic

        -Otto