Hello Ulf !

> there seems to be a terminology problem here:  Usually,
> "pinch gesture" refers to an input with two touches moving
> toward each other, or away from each other, and it doesn't
> involve keyboard input.  Our drivers don't support these
> gestures. Many applications permit to zoom in and out by
> holding the Ctrl key down and scrolling simultaneously.  Is
> this what you mean?  It should work with any application
> that implements it, for the driver, it's just scrolling.

Yes, it is what I meaned. I know it from Mac OS X as gestures or 2
finger gestures (or some varaiants of it, depends where you read about
it) for zoom in and out without holding a key. As I configured
synaptics / synclient the first time I came across a posting where it
was called pinch to zoom (Ctrl and move 2 fingers). See below for
details.

> As to tapping, what you describe sounds weird, but maybe it
> isn't:  During tests with a MacBookPro8,2 I observed that
> tapping with much force may fail because the hardware reports
> coordinates that oscillate in a range that is beyond the
> distance limit for tapping (that is, if the distance between
> the origin and the end point of a touch exceeds a certain
> threshold, it isn't treated as tap).  I increased that limit
> then, but possibly it's still too low for that hardware.

Not to force, it is like as if there are dead areas. See below for
details.

> Can you check whether tapping without force works better, and
> also test it with the synaptics driver (which has a much higher
> threshold)?

I tried today a 6.2 -release for synaptics using fvwm(1) and
qutebrowser. Tapping was set using synclients synclient TapButton1=1
(setting tapping using wsconsctl(8) had no effect). Tapping works in
the whole area of the touchpad without problems. Zoom in and out using
the Ctrl key and 2 fingers (only diagonal - see below) worked also. It
was better then on the ThinkPad but makes also not really happy.

Then I tried 6.2 -current from Dec 18 also with fvwm(1) and qutebrowser.
Tapping was set using wsconsctl(8) - as described in a email before.
Increasing the threshold makes tapping more easy but there are still
dead areas on the touchpad. In the snapshot from Dec 17 tapping was
only possible in the corners and the middle of the touchpad - the
field between them was dead. With this snapshot the dead area is
smaller but still there. Zoom in and out using Ctrl and 2 fingers had
absolutly no effect which I can reproduce. 2 or 3 times I could
accidently zoom 1 step but not more. My impression was, as if there is
a zoom area which is outside (on the right side) of the touchpad
(sorry, I have no better description).

I was curious and installed xfce (no extras) as xfce's composting
provides a internal magnifier using the alt (no typo) key and the
mouse wheel to zoom in and out everywhere. Tested with a mouse works
as it should. Tested with the touchpad and ws(4) works very smooth /
perfect BUT using the alt key and move 2 fingers (only vertical not as
normal diagonal) vertical to zoom in and out.

Let me know, if you need more informations.

Regards,

Christoph