Encountered the same errors with AR9271 dongle (athn driver) as in

athn0: firmware command 0x17 timed out
athn0: firmware command 0x18 timed out
athn0 device timeout

Kernel determined it as:

athn0 at uhub1 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "ATHEROS USB2.0 WLAN" rev
2.00/1.08 addr 4
athn0: AR9271 rev 1 (1T1R), ROM rev 13, address c4:e9:84:xx:xx:xx

Thank you for attention to a problem.

Denis