On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:10:30AM +0100, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:

> I know this is a little bit farfetched, pardon my ignorence, but
> OpenBSD seeems vulnerable on first installation. In case of DNS
> poisoning, what can stop a virus from forwarding the installer to a
> false SHA256.sig and false repository? My guess would be to use
> DNSSEC and a local copy of an OpenBSD repository to avoid such issue.

the installer has enough material to check the cryptographic signature
on SHA256.sig.

If the downloaded file hasn't a valid signature (according to the public
key the installer have) it will complains and not use it.

> Also I still don't understand the logic of not embedding SHA256.sig in
> the ISO. A SHA256.sig exists, why NOT use it?

Because the installer has to trust the public key on the ISO.

If someone is able to provide a fake ISO, he will also provide fake
SHA256.sig and/or fake public key on the ISO. So there is no gain to
provide such material as people will think "it is safe" whereas it is
not.

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie