>If someone is able to provide a fake ISO, he will also provide fake
>SHA256.sig and/or fake public key on the ISO. So there is no gain to
>provide such material as people will think "it is safe" whereas it is
>not.

that is true.

however, the real reason it isn't on the media is that internal
signing followed by exterior signing doesn't work with the snapshot
release sequence i follow.  and since snapshots don't have the
interior signing, neither do releases.

not that it matters.  it's a great time to raise a rather late flag to
the user and say "hey, did you perform diligence?".  late, because
they've already booted the media.  we can't do much before they boot,
and the moment this occurs is easy for us.