On 2018-02-24, Israel Brewster <isr...@ravnalaska.net> wrote:
> I have an HP Compaq Pro 6300 machine on which I am trying to run
> OpenBSD. The installer boots and runs fine, but after rebooting into the
> newly installed OS, I start getting the boot sequence (the white text on
> blue background stuff - don't know what that is officially called), but
> after a second or so the screen goes blank and that's all she wrote.
>
> My first thought was that it was just a display issue, and that I
> should be able to ssh in and tweak stuff, but as it turns out, the
> machine never shows up on the network, either, so apparently it never
> gets far enough in the boot process to enable the network (networking
> *does* work while I am running through the installer, so I don't think
> it's just a missing network driver there).

It sounds like it's crashing after the video mode is changed. The
machine probably has inteldrm so at the boot loader prompt, try
"boot -c", then at UKC "disable inteldrm" and "quit".

That may let it boot, if not then you're at least more likely to see
a hidden error message of some sort.

If this is 6.2, try -current instead. If it's OpenBSD/i386, try amd64
instead.