On 2/1/06, Greg Oster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter Fraser" writes:
> > and as a result all file writes to the failed
> > drive queued up in memory,
>
> I've never seen that behaviour...  I find it hard to believe that
> you'd be able to queue up 2 days worth of writes without a) any reads
> being done or b) not noticing that the filesystem was completely
> unresponsive when a write of associated meta-data never returned...
> (on the first write of meta-data that didn't return, pretty much all
> IO to that filesystem should grind to a halt.  Sorry.. I'm not buying
> the "it queued up things for two days"... )

I've seem similar on a machine with a filesystem on a raid-1 partition
and mounted with softdeps enabled. From what I remember the scenario
was something like:

* copied 10Gb or so of data to new raid-1 filesystem
* system then left idle for 30mins or so
* being an idiot, pulled the wrong plug out of the wall
* upon reboot, and after raid resync and fsck, most of the copied data
was no longer there

-- ach