On 18 April 2018 8:04 PM, Ryan Freeman <r...@slipgate.org> wrote:
> This is how it works when your system is normal:

Unfortunately my system was not "normal", because mountd -d returned the shell
prompt, as I said.

I also said that mountd_flags=-d prevents the OS from restarting.
I had to restart from the serial cable, enter single user mode and clear
mountd_flags.
This required a field trip, because the server was on a remote location.

Now the OS boots again, and mountd -d works as you said.
However, this neither solves nor helps with the original problem.
I cannot babysit mountd all day, through an ssh link, awaiting for a crash.
I need portmap, mountd and nfsd to log into a file, just like other
well-behaved servers do.
Unfortunately they do not offer server flags to enable debug logs and specify a
log file.
They just use syslog, but then again, they do not say anything useful when they
crash.