On 04/19/18 16:39, Steve Williams wrote:

On 19/04/2018 7:55 AM, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 15:38, Zé Loff <zel...@zeloff.org> wrote:

# mountd -d > /var/log/mountd.log 2&>1 &
It is the first thing I did this morning. Unfortunately it does not survive when ssh breaks out. Also, mountd -d is returning the shell prompt again, so I have no logs at all.

Hi,

A couple of things...  you need to read about "nohup" if you are trying to run programs in the background and they are getting killed when the ssh session ends.

Additionally, there are two programs that are very useful..

script
and
screen

"script" is on every Unix type system that I've ever been on in my last 35+ years of working on Unix type systems.

I believe that there is an "in-tree" replacement for the functionality that "screen" brings, but I cannot remember what it's called. Otherwise, use the screen package.

"screen" allows you to run an interactive session (mountd -d) and "detach" (^AD) the session, log out, and at some point in the future, "resume" the screen session.. (screen -r).

Combined with "script", which will log all information that is appearing on the screen to a file, you should be able to run "mountd -d" and capture all information to a file, as well as resuming the session to see what is going on interactively.

Cheers,
Steve W.

tmux(1) is included in the base install of OpenBSD - it is a modern and better replacement for screen :~)

Cheers

Fred