On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:49:53AM -0400, Joe Gidi wrote:

> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 09:08:12PM +1000, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> >> drivers/gpu/drm/amd in linux has over 1.5 million lines of code.  Which
> >> is multiple times larger than the complete OpenBSD kernel source...
>
> Thanks for this update!
>
> Just to clarify, before I spend a bunch of money on new hardware, should I
> be able to use a Radeon R7 250 to drive a 4k monitor via DisplayPort with
> this updated driver?
>
> Thanks again,

It appears that 'R7 250' can mean either a cape verde or oland radeon
depending on the model.  Both are GCN parts.

4k 30Hz should be possible with HDMI, 4k 60Hz on HDMI requires HDMI 2.0
Both claim support for displayport 1.2 which should be able to do
4k 60Hz.  HDMI 2.0 seems to only be on later hardware with DCE >= 11
carrizo (not carrizo-l which is mullins), polaris etc.

With the low end radeons displayport is sometimes only available on
oem models of cards sold as options for systems marketed as business
desktops or workstations.

And as mentioned earlier for acceleration you'll currently have to build
a different version of Mesa than what OpenBSD releases/snapshots ship
with.