On 2006/02/02 15:36, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> >Underpowered?  I think that is a really relative term.  Underpowered for
> >datamining a 1 TB database?  Yeah it probably is, however from my
> >experience I could saturate a 1.5 Mb SDSL or T-1 link using an IPSEC VPN
> >on between a Soekris 4501 and a 1GHz Dell POS.  If all you are looking to
> >do is run a firewall for a DSL/Cable connection at home, the 4501 is
> >likely overpowered.
>
> I'm remembering some load problems, and a holdoff patch. Perhaps it's
> not an issue now. Don't forget that I said it should work as a home router.

Holdoff helps only a little. Using better nics helps only a little.
Polling helps quite a lot more on these, but that's on some other OS,
I forget which.

They're very good at some things (low-power system for controlling other
kit via gpio(4), ADSL firewall, etc) and bad at others (high network
throughput, fast fileserving, etc).

WRAP boards are somewhat similar, cheaper but more barebones e.g.
no battery amongst other things, and the standard cases are uglier.