On 2006/02/04 14:07, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 11:25:15AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On 2006/02/03 20:34, Josh Tolley wrote:
> > > All that being said, we 1) didn't have an encryption accelerator
> > > in the box
> >
> > that would tend to make things worse anyway - you'll just increase the
> > rate of interrupts and that seems to be the main problem.
>
> If you plan to do extensive crypto on a soekris then you better add an
> encryption accelerator to the box because the little CPU is not capable of
> doing more than 8MB of AES-128 per second (tested via openssl speed).
> With scp I never got more than 1MB/s throughput.

I see pretty similar cpu use from Blowfish in software compared to
3des-cbc in hardware on a 4801 with scp. Software AES-128 is a little
slower. I don't have an AES accelerator to try.

http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/freebsd/slow-cpu-routers.html implements
polling for hifn, which the author has found to help for some cases
(notably IPSEC: 9.95 Mbit with polling vs. 7.2 MBit without polling).

> The soekris has such a slow CPU that any kind of work is expensive.

True, and the MHz is only part of the story.