Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:37:32 +0000 John Long <codeb...@inbox.lv>
> On Mon, 2018-06-25 at 17:16 +0300, IL Ka wrote:
> > Do you want to really build all ports or just fetch skeletons and
> > build some of them?
>
> Not sure, but I don't want to rule out building them all for a couple
> or reasons. I have a new box which is probably fast enough to make it
> worthwhile to build packages for some slower boxes I have. Second thing
> is rebuilding the system from source and then building all the ports is
> a good stability test. Bottom line is probably that I would rather plan
> to have the space available and not need it then to need it and not
> have it. Seems like in the past this was a problem for me.
>
> > For skeletons, automatic layout is good enough, but I recommend to
> > increase /usr/src a little and decrease /home.
> > Make sure you have ~ 5GB for /usr/src/ and /usr/obj.
> >

> Thanks, this helps. The automatic layout didn't include /usr/xenocara
> There used to be a recommendation in the past to have that as a
> separate filesystem. How large should it be?
>
> Is there any reason to track -stable anymore or has syspatch done away
> with the need for that?
>
> Seems to me, after trying to install OpenBSD on a new box, a lot of the
> helpful in the FAQ is totally AWOL now and I find it hard to get all
> the info together.

Hi John,

Person came from somewhere and cut out a lot of the useful hardware info.
At least now it's maintainable and can be carefully rewritten again, duh.

The frequent questions will probably go away over time as things improve.
Sound advice should have stayed however if you ask an enthusiast opinion.

The cvsweb shows historic versions of the pages if you want to reread it.
Asking this question also helps solve cases for mailing list readers too.

I have the same intention as you and am glad you raised the points again.
Ideally, the auto partition could have templates, for the cases you have.

http://man.openbsd.org/disklabel#AUTOMATIC_DISK_ALLOCATION

Interesting what the people with bulk port build and snapshot builds say.

http://man.openbsd.org/mk.conf
http://man.openbsd.org/bulk

Kind regards,
Anton Lazarov