Hi,

Stuart Longland wrote:
The IBM Thinkpads… sure, they worked well.  The Lenovo ones?  Looking at
the ones around the office, they've been a bit hit-and-miss, on both
Linux and their out-of-the-box Windows installs.

that is true... the latest IBM heritage you can get is the T43, although already manufactured by Lenovo. Wonderful chassis, incredible hinges... and I have one running Ubuntu, une NetBSD. I run OpenBSD on a T60 with the hi-res screen and while it works very well as far as hardware supports, the chassis quality is already lesser.

The bigger cousin, the T61 I have, already has nvidia and that is a nightmare: I couldn't get it useful on neither OpenBSD nor NetBSD so it is my FreeBSD tinker machine now, where I have to use the proprietary drivers (the opensources ones are available, but not up to it)

then from there it goes up and down...

I can't comment on their reliability on OpenBSD however as I think I'm
the only one in my office that uses it at all, and I tend to reserve it
for servers and routers which is an area which OpenBSD excels at.

I try to use my BSD boxen for every day use, although I always have a Windows machine at hand for the "stupid" work.
I use X11 program on it and browse and use mail.

One thing I never tried on any BSD since a long time is the use of a webcam: the only thing I use is Skype and it is quite hopeless.

The OP asked for a MacBook Pro replacement: since the value of a Mac for me is now mostly MacOS (oh, sorry macOS....)
With OpenBSD many alterantives are interesting: besides the cited ThinkPads

I have tried OpenBSD on a discarded hp ProBook 4530s... I need to use intel graphics instead of the Radeon, but it works very well. It used not too, but 6.2 and 6.3 brought an incredible improvement: sleep works, wireless, correct display brightness: quick and responsive! The machine has a very decent keyboard too and the i5 is fine also for development and browsing (except the classic browser issues on FOSS). If you can get one for cheap, recommended: but it is a big beast.

Riccardo