On 19/09/18 00:01, Craig Skinner wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:33:52 Mik J wrote:
>> The only drawback I see is that roundcube is less sexy and less good
>> than gmail.
> Webmail isn't worth bothering with at all. Too complicated.
>
> All desktops & mobile phones/tablets have various IMAP clients.
>
> For computers, there are IMAP clients such as Thunderbird, Claws, mutt,
> Mac Mail, MS Outlook, etc.
>
> For mobile gadgets, there are the Andriod Gmail app iOS's Mac Mail,
> Blackberry mail thing, etc, etc -> connect to other IMAP/POP servers.
>
> Webmail is dead junk.

I personally argue that the IMAP clients on Android are next to useless
as you're poking around on a tiny screen, half of which is occupied by
the on-screen keyboard.

Of my phones 480×800 pixel display (that's all ZTE endowed it with), I
suppose 300 of those 800 pixels get consumed by the keyboard, giving one
the feeling of peering through the world via a drinking straw.

Mutt via SSH on the phone isn't *too* bad, but it's still fiddly, and
attachments are a hassle that way.

As for webmail: I haven't bothered with it in years, but back when I was
at university it was a godsend as often the machines were heavily locked
down so you couldn't install your own software, and firewall
restrictions on some networks prevented the use of SSH, IMAPS and SMTP
submission ports.

I think it has its place, and if you're a person that sometimes needs to
check your email from random networks with esoteric firewall rules, it
can be quite useful.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...