Hi !

By reading carefully isakmpd(8), isakmpd.conf(5) and isakmpd.policy(5)
but I  don't fully understand how  to setup correctly  isakmpd to work
with X509 certificates.

In  isakmpd(8), it is  said that  client certificates  must be  put in
/etc/isakmpd/certs.  Why would  isakmpd  need those  certificates ?  I
think  the CA  should  be  sufficient to  check  that the  certificate
presented by the other peer is correct.

Here is how I would setup isakmpd with x509 certificates :
 - Put the CA in /etc/isakmpd/ca/.
 - Modify  /etc/isakmpd/isakmpd.policy  with  the  DN of  the  CA  in
   Licensee field: this way, only  certificates signed by the CA would
   be accepted.
 - Modify   /etc/isakmpd/isakmpd.conf   to   use   ID   instead   of
   Authentication. Remote IP  is left blank for phase  1. Remote ID is
   left blank for  phase 2 : AltSubjectName from  the certificate will
   be used instead.

Is it correct ?

Moreover, I  am not  sure that I  have really understood  what purpose
AltSubjectName serves in  the certificate. From what I  think, this is
the IP (or the FQDN) that will  be used by the remote end of the IPsec
tunnel.

With such a setup,  I should be able to have as  many client as I want
without copying their certs in /etc/isakmpd/certs and without altering
/etc/isakmpd/isakmpd.conf to add them. Right ?

If someone  has a  working setup of  a VPN gateway  that authenticates
roadwarrior clients with x509 certificates without need to add each of
them  in  /etc/isakmpd/isakmpd.conf,  I  would  be happy  to  see  the
configuration files.
--
printk("Illegal format on cdrom.  Pester manufacturer.\n");
        2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/fs/isofs/inode.c