On 10/12/18 21:42, Martin Hanson wrote:
>> It is preferable to just include the whole dmesg directly in the mail
>> Better still, when it's a "sometimes works" problem, include a "diff -u"
>> between the two (the context to show where the lines are added/removed).
>
> I have pasted a "diff -u" on https://paste....

FYI...  I don't click on links for stuff that should be in-message.

I suspect I'm not alone.

But yes, I agree with Stuart, sounds like a HW problem.  When things
come and go without changing, that pretty well screams "hw".  Different
OSs may work around different hw bugs differently, but it's still a HW
bug.  In your case, looks like the BIOS isn't initializing the PCI-PCI
bridges properly.

> +ppb3 at pci2 dev 3 function 0 vendor "ASMedia", unknown product 0x1184

(man ppb)

And yes, while Realteks used to be condemned and insulted, the new
network devices on many ARM boards is making Realteks look good. At
least their limitations are understood and dealt with well in SW.

Most people don't need the absolute best HW.  But in your case, you
probably want those PCI-PCI bridges configured. :)

Nick.