trondd <tro...@kagu-tsuchi.com> wrote:
> It's not really that complicated.  The bare minimum is to copy your
> .xinitrc to .xsession and then just run xenodm on demand with doas.  All
> the configs already exist in /etc/X11/xenodm.  Nothing requires you to run
> it at startup.
>
> Here's what I've done:
> Copy your .xinitrc to .xsession
>
> Copy (or modify in place) /etc/X11/xenodm/xenodm-config to $HOME
>
> Edit xenodm-config and add
> DisplayManager*autoLogin:  yourusername
>
> Comment out the call to Xsetup so you don't get the xconsole window
> !DisplayManager._0.setup:     /etc/X11/xenodm/Xsetup_0
>
> Then you can alias it to run it on demand.  Alias to startx if you want.
> alias xenodm='doas xenodm -config /home/myusername/xenodm-config'

Hm.  Thank you.  This works, except the environment in which I run xenodm is
lost.  For example, I have ENV=~/.kshrc in my ~/.profile, but this isn't
inherited to X11 ... I guess I should add these things to my .xsession, but
then I'll have it in two places instead of once.

> Only thing I never figured out is how to make X and xenodm shutdown when I
> exit my window manager.

This too makes me feel like xenodm is far too complex for what I want.