On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 01:12:12AM +0100, Tom Smyth wrote:
> Hello All,
> I tried out 6.5 and tried joining a network with a space in the SSID,
> the network was a hotel network that was open.

Hey Tom,

This must be a configuration error at your end.

I am currently connected just fine to:
        ieee80211: join "19 Grams guest" chan 11 bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 83%

With this line in /etc/hostname.iwm0:

        join '19 Grams guest'

> dmesg below ... for info ...

The info needed here is the extra lines written to /var/log/messages
after you run 'ifconfig iwm0 debug' and try to connect. (Disable again
with ifconfig iwm0 -debug when no longer needed.)

You will see lines which show matched attributes of each AP, with a leading
plus if the AP is considered a match, a minus if not, and an exclamation
mark next to each attribute which didn't match and caused the AP to be
rejected. In this example, the first AP did not match (-) because it
uses crypto and a different SSID, but the second one did (+):

/bsd:  - xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx    8   +54 54M   ess  privacy!   no  "19grams"!
/bsd:  + yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy   11   +58 54M   ess       no    no  "19 Grams guest"