The older cards are... old, and so are their drivers. If it is a Prism
you have to use 2 programs: ifconfig and wicontrol:

#ifconfig wi0 nwkey <key> up #insert the
#wicontrol -n SSID -e 1 #insert the key and turn on encryption
#dhclient wi0

There is no way to make it 'prompt' you, at least not by default.

-Kousu