On 2019-04-27, Levente <leventeatt...@protonmail.com> wrote:

> The headphone in question is the Platronics RIG 500 HD, which connects
> through the USB port (instead of 3.5mm jacks).

> mixerctl output is provided below along with dmesg.

Your headphones, which are really a USB audio adapter with attached
headphones, are a separate audio device.  Here are the relevant
parts from your dmesg:

> audio0 at azalia0
> ppb0 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 6 Series PCIE" rev 0xb4: msi
> pci1 at ppb0 bus 2

That's the built-in azalia(4) audio of the laptop that supplies the
speakers and the headphone jack.

> uaudio0 at uhub3 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1 "Plantronics Plantronics
> HD1" rev 2.00/1.14 addr 3
> uaudio0: class v1, full-speed, sync, channels: 2 play, 2 rec, 9 ctls
> audio1 at uaudio0
> uhidev0 at uhub3 port 2 configuration 1 interface 3 "Plantronics Plantronics
> HD1" rev 2.00/1.14 addr 3
> uhidev0: iclass 3/0, 1 report id
> uhid0 at uhidev0 reportid 1: input=15, output=15, feature=0

And these are your uaudio(4) headphones.

By default, mixerctl accesses /dev/mixer -> /dev/mixer0, which is
the built-in audio.  You can access the mixer associated with your
USB headphones by choosing the appropriate device:

$ mixerctl -f /dev/mixer1
outputs.play=0,0
outputs.play_loud=on
outputs.play_mute=off
record.enable=sysctl

However, as in this example, I think you will only get a few generic
controls.

It is my theoretical understanding that USB audio gadgets typically
come with a uhid(4) device, as does yours above, and you would use
usbhidctl(1) to list and manipulate the available controls.

In practice, I only get some variant of

usbhidctl: USB_GET_REPORT (probably not supported by device): Input/output error

when I try this.  So either I'm mistaken or there is a problem
somewhere.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de