cho...@jtan.com wrote:

> Anonymous writes:
> > Otto Moerbeek:

> > > Does it matter? It is very common for publications to be dated in the
> > > future.
> > >
> > >   -Otto
> >
> > No, it's not common, neither for software releases nor for texts
> > published online (blogposts, fiction, etc). Maybe you're talking about
> > some niche. And yes, it matters because it's confusing: I opened the
> > front page soon after the release but was in doubt whether it's for real
> > because of the date.
>
> Well I'm not an author, editor, publisher or printer but I'm fairly sure
> nobody's ever gone from "I'm going to write a book" to "this book has been
> printed and is already on the shelves" in less than 24 hours, so
> publishing "in advance" like this makes total sense.
>
> A bit weird but luckily I'm not a complete fucking moron so I'm able to
> work out that when something says "released* on [future date]" that time
> travel was not invented while I wasn't looking and that a week here or
> there just doesn't matter.
>
> People pointing out spelling mistakes have more utility than this thread.

Looking closer, the release directory contains root.mail which is dated
May 1.  That file is also contained in the base set for each
architecture, which is hashed and signed.  Sometimes tar'd, hashed, and
signed.  There are also many binaries and files throughout the release
which aren't date May 1.  It is a pretty unkempt state of affairs.

Obviously to repair some of these issues, we should change the date in
that file (and some other files also) and re-roll all the release
builds.  Starting now.  Which will take some time.  Sadly, those
repaired files will miss May 1, which is sure to elicit new complaints.

Ironic isn't it?  Just-in-time is difficult in the real world.

I suggest the OP learns to let it go.  Or visiting a clinic for some
therapy, in most countries this is government subsidized.

The observant among you will have noticed that most errata+syspatch go
out a day early also.  We've got a good justification for that though --
we are pandering to folk on the early side of the dateline.  You can
conclude the 6.5 release was made available on-time, as we are pandering
to people on the early side of the weekline.  I'll probably pander to
someone else for the 6.6 release.

I'm late, I'm late! For a very important date! No time to say `hello,
goodbye,' I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!