> Even after many tries, I have not yet been able to corrupt the
> filesystem so fsck cannot repair it without manual intervention.

Another less severe corner fail case I have found is that on a couple of buggy
386 laptops (that will be replaced soon anyway) with temperamental over temp
shutdowns on some bootups (and now failing host controller, I'm guessing due to
age/damage). I have found LOST+FOUND can fill up the filesystem, preventing
library and kernel randomisation from taking affect. I have a script to check
and remove older LOST+FOUND files. It's unlikely that there would be anything
important lost on these browsing machines anyway.

I guess a proper solution would be thorny?