On 13/07/2019, Jonathan Drews <> wrote:
> Hi Folks:  I need some recommendations on what brand of printers will
> work
> with Ghostscript (Postscript). The cartridges for my 15 year old HP
> Deskjet have gotten too expensive. I know Xerox makes some
> Postscript printers. Are there any other manufactureres of Postscript
> printers? I am running OpenBSD 6.5 as a desktop. Any advice would be
> appreciated. Also, I just want to use printcap and lpd. I would like to
> avoid CUPS. Kind Regards,
> Jonathan

I don't have advice on what's a good PostScript printer or PS printer
brand, however here's why I personally consider Xerox a bad vendor and
bad actor, because here's what's wrong with my Xerox Phaser 6130N:

* It comes with steganography built in.[1][2]  They never tell you
about this.  Do you trust that NONE of the recipients of any letters
you print will ever extract the stego-info establishing a link between
that printer and you, making that printer more or less personally
identifiable to you?  (That's assuming you're not in huge free-for-all
communal living with a very large unmonitored "anyone can print here"
pool.)  Do you trust all recipients to not sell that valuable info to
the highest bidder or national political police[3], so in case you
ever engage in any whistleblowing[4] or activism, or truthful
journalism about, say, Venezuela, Russia, Iran, the Five Eyes and the
NSA will already have your info on file?[5]  Btw., if you register
your purchase like Xerox want you to, that link to you is established
by default.  Apparently they've a built-in RTC too since they secretly
timestamp your documents as well; because *that's* useful to you.  All
without your prior knowledge and consent.
So they advertised a printer that I bought and paid them for based on
their offer and representation, but unbeknownst to me at the time, the
printer had a surveillance anti-feature built in that significantly
undermines my privacy every time I use it.  Xerox do not let me turn
the spy dots off either, because they're not there for me, they're
there against me.  If I sold the girl next door an electric shower
with a camera built in that spies on her without her prior knowledge
and consent every time she uses it, what would you think of me?  That's
what I think of Zerox, and I'm keeping that typo because nomen est
omen.  Worse, Xerox apparently pioneered this.  They invented this.
It wasn't just, some secret court in a totalitarian country forced
them to.  They went out of their way to mislead their customers into
significant vulnerability and privacy liability.  In this, Xerox's
business by misrepresentation and then exploitation is unethical to
the point of fraud, and to the extent it's organised and they've done
this secretly, in bed with TLAs, Xerox are a RICO.  Do you want to buy
a printer from your friendly neighbourhood RICO?
I would have sued their arse over it, it was just, I was not doing so
well at the time, and couldn't deal with fighting an additional
battle, so I felt I had no choice but to keep using the printer for
the time being, and that's turned into years, and in fairness, I still
have issues.  Not everyone is equipped to get into a fist fight with a
RICO.  That doesn't mean I approve or consent, just that my energy and
options are limited.

* The printer has alignment issues.  They're not severe, but if you do
any crafting etc. where you expect the page to be exactly centered, it
won't be.  I've never figured out how to fix this on the printer, and
trying to compensate elsewhere is a PITA.

* The printer has colour management issues.  They're not severe, but a
colour page may be printed a tad too dark, and compensating in e.g.
GIMP by brightening things up there before printing is a stupid hack.

* The printer has toner adherence issues, where a full-colour print
may throw lots of toner onto the paper and especially some of the
darker toner won't properly stick to the paper and may flake off.
This may be related to the colour management issues too, i.e. it's
trying to fuse an excess of toner.  In fairness, I now buy refill
toner because fuck giving Xerox any more money, and it may be that
this is slightly worse on non-original toner -- maybe.  I'm sure Xerox
would eagerly say that's the only reason, but in my experience, not
really.  Also, any deliberate incompatibility with third party COTS
toner is an anti-feature too.  Oh, and Xerox put an ID chip in their
toner cartridges too for pretty much mostly that reason.

* The fuser broke too soon, after not much use and had to be replaced.
I'm sure Xerox would also pick up on that as an excuse for the toner
adherence issues, but not in my experience, it's happened before as
well.  Apparently a plastic cogwheel split just from heat from just
leaving the printer on standby, which I didn't even do that long or
that often, not anything like in a commercial office.

Is there an alternative? I still don't know, but would also appreciate
advice, just like you.

It is of course possible that any non-Xerox vendor not known to
include printer steganography may include some anyway, just in a more
sneaky way not currently known.  I don't think that exculpates
Xerox.  On this too, any advice or insight would be welcome.

Ian

PS: I've never gotten just printcap and lpd to work, but that's
probably because I'm wildly incompetent.  It's probably best not to
ask me for printer setup and configuration advice.

[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganograpy#Printed>
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code>
[2] And yes, I've confirmed and looked at the dots with my own eyes.
[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Bureau_of_Investigation>
[4] what's happening to Julian Assange being the textbook example how
dangerous an activity even merely whistleblower-supplied journalism
can be, not to mention how dangerous whistleblowing is
[5] Xerox printers. Chilling effects guaranteed. Well, once you figure
out that we're tracking you.