Scott Seekamp <compli...@risei.net> wrote:

> I purchased an inexpensive USB GPS receiver to test with time keeping on
> my OpenBSD 6.5 box. It's a "u-blox" supported by the nmea driver.
>
> Following the man pages for ldattach it says:
>
> "Specifies the name of the serial line. device should be a string of the
> form "cuaXX" or "/dev/cuaXX".
>
> cua(4) [1] devices should be used when ldattach is started from the
> command line; when started using init(8) [2], tty(4) [3] devices should
> be used."
>
> However, if I use ttyU0 as the device in /etc/ttys I never get the
> hw.sensors.nmea0 tree created. If I manually start ldattach with cuaU0
> or put cuaU0 in /etc/ttys everything behaves as expected.

There should never be cua devices in /etc/ttys, so something is curiously
wrong.

Can you try playing with some of the following flags, and tell us
which ones work, from ttys(4):

     Additionally, the following flags modify the default behavior of the
     terminal line.  Some of these flags may not be supported by a terminal
     line driver.  The flag fields should not be quoted.

     local    Treat the line as if it is locally connected.

     rtscts   Use RTS/CTS hardware flow control, if possible.

     mdmbuf   Use DTR/DCD flow control if possible.

     softcar  Ignore hardware carrier on the line.

Try all.  Some of them will have similar effects.