On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Andreas Bihlmaier wrote:

> From: Andreas Bihlmaier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: misc@openbsd.org
> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:14:10 +0100
> Subject: Re: OpenBSD for a desktop environment ?

> Only think to remember is the lack of OpenOffice in (native)
> OpenBSD.  Sure there is "gnumeric" and "abiword" as well as
> "koffice", but I think it is not an adequate replacement for OO.

There was some discussion about this on the list some time ago.
Apparently the Linux version works OK in compatability mode.  I
installed this version on my i386 OpenBSD machine.  I haven't used
it -- other than to verify soffice fires up -- so I can't say how
well it works.

I followed the instructions from a web page that seems to have
vanished.  So here's the steps I took.

You'll obviously need the Redhat libraries
(/usr/ports/emulators/redhat) installed.  And have:

kern.emul.linux=1

set in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Touched /emul/linux/etc/mnttab to create it as an empty file.

Added:

#
# For OpenOffice in Linux compatability mode.
/proc /proc procfs rw,linux 0 0

to /etc/fstab.

Created and mounted /proc.

Created the directory OOo_2.0.0, untarred
OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz in this directory to create all
the RPMs.

Created /opt as a soft link to /usr/local.

Installed the software by typing:

/emul/linux/bin/rpm --nodeps --ignoreos --ignorearch -ivh *.rpm

Programs are installed in /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/s*. For
instance the text editor is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter
and the main app is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.

The web page then said:

  If programs don't start and if you have a Java virtual machine,
  temporarily disable it (chmod 0 /usr/local/jdk*), then start
  OpenOffice. You can then re-enable Java (chmod 755 /usr/local/jdk*)
  and keep it that way.

but I'm not running with a Java virtual machine so it's
not a problem I've experienced.
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               Phone: +44 1225 386101