On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:11:42PM +0000, Dennis Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Andreas Bihlmaier wrote:

<snip>

> There was some discussion about this on the list some time ago.
> Apparently the Linux version works OK in compatability mode.  I
> installed this version on my i386 OpenBSD machine.  I haven't used
> it -- other than to verify soffice fires up -- so I can't say how
> well it works.
>
> I followed the instructions from a web page that seems to have
> vanished.  So here's the steps I took.
>
> You'll obviously need the Redhat libraries
> (/usr/ports/emulators/redhat) installed.  And have:
>
> kern.emul.linux=1
>
> set in /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> Touched /emul/linux/etc/mnttab to create it as an empty file.

/emul/linux/etc/mtab

> Added:
>
> #
> # For OpenOffice in Linux compatability mode.
> /proc /proc procfs rw,linux 0 0
>
> to /etc/fstab.
>
> Created and mounted /proc.
>
> Created the directory OOo_2.0.0, untarred
> OOo_2.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz in this directory to create all
> the RPMs.
>
> Created /opt as a soft link to /usr/local.

ln -s /usr/local /emul/linux/opt

> Installed the software by typing:
>
> /emul/linux/bin/rpm --nodeps --ignoreos --ignorearch -ivh *.rpm
>
> Programs are installed in /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/s*. For
> instance the text editor is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/swriter
> and the main app is /opt/openoffice.org2.0/program/soffice.
>
> The web page then said:
>
>   If programs don't start and if you have a Java virtual machine,
>   temporarily disable it (chmod 0 /usr/local/jdk*), then start
>   OpenOffice. You can then re-enable Java (chmod 755 /usr/local/jdk*)
>   and keep it that way.
>
> but I'm not running with a Java virtual machine so it's
> not a problem I've experienced.
> --
> Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]               Phone: +44 1225 386101

I don't want to be picky corrections are just for the archives.
Besides that:
THANK YOU!

Couldn't there be a short entry in the FAQ about
"How to get OpenOffice to run on OpenBSD i386"
because I think that there is quite a bunch of people that want to run
OO on OpenBSD.

Sadly this is not going to work for amd64, but otherwise it seems to
work quite well under linux emulation.

Regards,
ahb