hello,

> You can't go wrong with LibreOffice. I've written thousands of pages over
> the years with it. It may be too "heavy" for some, but for me, if I'm doing
> something too complex for vi or mousepad, I just fire up LibreOffice.

to me there is no such thing that is too complex for the unix documentation
toolchain that you can achieve with libreoffice. i feel the other way
around: libreoffice is always a bad choice:

* when i need a rich good looking document in which you can
  easily add graphical material of very different nature (music cheets,
  chemical or math formula, gantt graph, ...), then

  [your editor of choice] + pandoc + git + latex + tikz + gnuplot + graphviz +
m4

  is really the best thing i found

* if you need interactivity and animation (which isn't my case): the web is
there
  (i personally use pandoc + pug + livescript (to be replaced by elm) +
  stylus)

the only one case where libreoffice is the good choice is if you mind
the learning curve but writting a book is a long process, pay the bill
at first to be more peaceful later seems to be a good deal to me.

regards.
marc