On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:57 PM Brennan Vincent <bren...@umanwizard.com>
wrote:

> I am asking this out of pure curiosity, not to criticize or start a debate.
>
> Why does the ramdisk not include /usr/bin/vi by default? To date,
> it is the only UNIX-like environment I have ever seen without some form
> of vi.

The ramdisk space is extremely tight.  We include what we feel is
necessary, PUSHING OUT other stuff as priorities shift.  If you have watch
the commits closely, you would have seen drivers vanish from the ramdisks
on tight archs as new functionality was added.

Given what we want people to use the ramdisks for (installing,
reinstalling, upgrading, fixing boot and set issues), vi is not necessary,
while other functionality and drivers extend their applicability.  We will
keep the latter and not include the former.

Philip Guenther