On 2019-11-15, Roderick <hru...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> ed is included in the ramdisk, but if your use case is using vi to fix a
>
> I imagine, it is there for using it in scripts.

Interestingly enough, the installer itself does not use ed, as far
as I can tell.

* I pretty regularly use ed to perform some configuration tweaks
  before rebooting a freshly installed system.
* I have, rarely, used ed to recover a system from errors in
  /etc/fstab.
* Since the installer itself is just a script, it can be modified
  with ed in the install environment and then re-run.  From time
  to time I do this when debugging the installer or working on some
  feature there.

If you have some passing familiarity with sed, then ed will feel
very familiar.  It's just an interactive sed.  (Historically, it's
the other way around, of course.)

> I think, for editing config files, there are sure editors that
> are simpler, smaller, not so powerful, but easier to use than ed.

By all means, do not keep us in suspense and tell us the names of
these editors.

How large is a C implementation of TECO?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de