>> - maybe sysupgrade needs to be patched to avoid this issue?
>>

> Probably not. sysupgrade has assumptions baked in to it which have
> evidently been rendered invalid either by another tool or by the
> person using them. That tool is where the patch most likely ought
> to be directed.

If I may make a little comment here.

Surely it is a little bit questionable to "bake assumptions" into sysupgrade
that everybody is going to do a complete install when the OpenBSD installer
itself gives you the option to select what is going to be installed.

At the very least, may I suggest that even if the developers don't want to
increase the intelligence of sysupgrade that they at least code in some sanity
checks (e.g. "pick a file - or two - at random from the core tgz files that you
would normally expect to be present on the system if a 'full-default' install
was done.  If file not present, then throw a horrid error message and abort).

It strikes me as a little silly to put a tool out there that you know will
trash (or at least severely brick) a user's system just because of some
severely opinionated "baked assumptions" coded into it.