> You can't seriously be calling "-x* -game*" an unsupported configuration ?
> Seems to me
>  like a sensible thing to do on any box that's going to be headless for its
> entire life
>  and only ever accessed via SSH (or text console at a push).

Lines 159-160 of /usr/sbin/sysupgrade read as follows:

        SETS=$(sed -n -e 's/^SHA256 (\(.*\)) .*/\1/' \
            -e '/^INSTALL\./p;/^bsd/p;/\.tgz$/p' SHA256)

This is followed by ~45 lines which download, verify and extract
them. The entire thing from that point takes up less than two
thirds of this small laptop screen.

It would have been quicker to write a patch to include the desired
functionality than create this email thread.

Here's a quick-and-dirty thing I just made up:

ed /usr/sbin/sysupgrade
/^SETS=/s//: ${SETS:=/
+s/$/}/
wq

Now you can, possibly, set SETS in the environent to override what
sysupgrade will even consider.

Matthew