On 24/12/19 9:16 pm, Dumitru Moldovan wrote:
> Maybe it would be worth mentioning in the FAQ?  I could only find it
> here: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade63.html, but then it was not
> mentioned for newer releases.
>
> Another remedy is to follow the `Files to remove` section in the FAQ,
> e.g. for 6.6: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade66.html#RmFiles.  The
> FAQ article for the 6.3 upgrade suggests sysclean does that too.  This
> seems to be a byproduct of the design, meaning it doesn't specifically
> remove those files, but it should remove them, as long as all installed
> packages are updated and no longer need them.  But this is just my
> reading of the sysclean man page.

Yeah I had done that… actually for another router VM I had to do a very
brutal equivalent of it when it ran out of disk space mid-update in the
installer… I basically blew away /usr/* (minus directories that are on
different partitions like 'local') figuring it'd re-instate the files
when it unpacked the newer file sets.

This lead to some missing files in /usr/share/relink but I was able to
re-instate those from another 6.6 VM that did update cleanly
(ironically, the very one that prompted this discussion).

So far, both have now run `syspatch`, and I've got kernel re-linking
working on both now.  We shall see.

Both VMs should probably be re-built from scratch as a matter of sanity,
but I can do that at leisure now, what I have, works.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.